Ultrasonographic and Hormonal Evaluation of Clinically Suspected Cases of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Nikita M. Singh, Deepak Kamat, Parth Patel, Tupe N.B.


Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a physiological disorder that causes many negative effects involving a variety of systems in the body, such as the endocrine, metabolic, psychological, and reproductive systems. An individual may present with a variety of reproductive, metabolic, and psychological problems. Method: In this descriptive cross-sectional study, women of reproductive age group (15–35 yrs), presenting with infertility, irregular menstruation, acne, hirsuitism and obesity were included. Consecutive sample method and total 139 patients were included. Detailed history with specific emphasis on history of infertility, age, menstrual history (oligomenorrhoea; regular or irregular menses), and obesity was done. Serum FSH, LH, and LH:FSH ratio levels were estimated. TVS/ TA, increase in number of follicles in ovary (multiple follicles), and increase in ovarian volume were noted. Result: Out of the 139 patients studied at PRH, maximum patients (88.5%) had normal levels of Sr. LH. These normal levels were of follicular and luteal phase. Remaining 16 (11.5%) had increased levels of Sr. LH. Out of the 139 patients studied at PRH, majority (99.3%) of the patients had normal levels of Sr. FSH. These normal levels were of follicular and luteal phase. Only 1(0.7%) patient had decreased level of Sr. FSH. Of the 139 patients studied at PRH with evidence of PCOS, 58 (41.7%) patients had increased ratio of Sr. LH:Sr. FSH (i.e., >2:1). Remaining 81(58.3%) patients had normal ratio. In the present study of 139 patients, 65 patients had exclusive USG findings, 13 (9.4%) patients had exclusive hormonal evidence and 45 patients had combined USG and hormonal evidence. Overall 16 (11.5%) patients had neither of the evidence (although they had clinical features of PCOS). Conclusion: Hormonal evidence of PCOS was present. Of these serums, LH levels were raised in majority of the cases and also raised LH:FSH ratio despite the values of hormones being in normal range. Both, i.e., USG alone and USG combined hormonal, were good evaluators for clinically suspected cases of PCOS.

KEYWORDS: Polycystic ovarian syndrome, Hormonal levels, USG findings, Serum, FSHLH PCOS hyperandrogenism

Full Text:



Abbott DH, Barnett DK, Bruns CM, Dumesic DA. Androgen excess fetal programming of female reproduction: a developmental aetiology for polycystic ovary syndrome? Hum Reprod Update 2005;11(4):357–74.

Xita N, Georgiou I, Lazaros L, Psofaki V, Kolios G, Tsatsoulis A. The synergistic effect of sex hormone- binding globulin and aromatase genes on polycystic ovary syndrome phenotype. Eur J Endocrinol


Azziz R. Overview of long-term morbidity and economic cost of the polycystic ovary syndrome. In: Androgen excess disorders in women. New York: Humana Press; 2007, pp. 353–62.

Sheehan MT. Polycystic ovarian syndrome: diagnosis and management. Clin Med Res 2004;2(1):13–27.

Garad R, Teede HJ, Moran L. An evidence-based guideline for polycystic ovary syndrome. Aust Nurs J 2011;19(4):30.

Kletzky OA, Davajan V, Nakamura RM, Thorneycroft IH, Mishell. DR. Clinical categorization of patients with secondary amenorrhea using progesterone induced uterine bleeding and measurement of serum

gonadotropin levels. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1975;121:695.

Rebar RW. Gonadotropin secretion in polycystic ovary disease. Semin Reprod Endocrinol 1984;2:223.

Imse V, Holzapfel G, Hinney B, Kuhn W, Wuttke W. Comparison of leutinizing hormone pulsatilityin the serum of women suffering from polycystic ovarian disease using a bioassay and five different immunoassays. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998;83:2343.

Van Santbrink EJ, Hop WC, Fauser BC. Classification of normogonadotropic infertility: polycystic ovaries diagnosed by ultrasound versus endocrine characteristics of polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 1997;67(3):452–8.

Blank SK, McCartney CR, Marshall JC. The origins and sequelae of abnormal neuroendocrine function in polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod Update 2006;12:351–61.

Tsilchorozidou T, Overton C, Conway GS. The pathophysiology of polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Endocrinol 2004;60(1):1–17.

Bart CJM, Fauser MD, Basil C, Tarlatzis MD, Robert W, Rebar MD, Richard S, Legro MD, Adam H, Balen MD, Roger Lobo MD, Enrico Carmina MD, Jeffrey Chang MD, Bulent O, Yildiz MD, Joop SE, Laven

MD, Jacky Boivin MD, Felice Petraglia MD, l C. N. Wijeyeratne MD, Robert J Norman MD, Andrea Dunaif MD, Stephen Franks MD, Robert A, Wild MD, Daniel Dumesic MD, Kurt Barnhart MD. Consensus

on women’s health aspects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): the Amsterdam ESHRE/ASRM- Sponsored 3rd PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Fertil Steril 2012;97(1):28–38.

Rotterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term

health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 2004;81:19–25.

Bridge NA, Cooke A, Healy MJR, Hindmergh PC, Brooke CG. Standards for the ovarian volume in children and puberty. Fertil Steril 1993;60:456–60.

Michelmore KF, Balen AH, Dunger DB, Vessey MP. Polycystic ovaries and associated clinical and biochemical features in young women. Clin Endocrinol 1999;51:779–86.

Nazir F, Clinical and genetic study of polycystic ovarian syndrome, 2008, Pakistan.

Joshi B, Mukherjee S, Patil A, Purandare A, Chauhan S, Vaidya R. A cross-sectional study of polycystic ovarian syndrome among adolescent and young girls in Mumbai, India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Print ISSN: 2347-6192

Online ISSN: 2347-6206